Saturday, March 09, 2013

Anti-Gaelic Discrimination



While hurrying for an American departure in Dublin Airport last week I heard the latecomers being paged on the terminal intercom. Reaching the gate several seconds later I humorously chided the gate agent for forgetting to call my name. "No," she said, "I saw your name, but it was in Irish, so I left it out."

I made my flight, and no damage done, but I returned to America amazed that casual acts of discrimination like this can still occur in Ireland without apology or consequence. Would the gate agent still have a job if she applied this policy to names in German?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Eolas: said...

To counter your bad experience, I was recently coming back through Dublin airport and the immigration Garda saw my name as Gaeilge on the passport and said 'fáilte abhaile'.

Ná bac leis an gcailleach sin.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home